Environmental Policy of the Clonakilty Park Hotel
Protecting our environment and our beautiful surroundings is very important to us at the Clonakilty Park Hotel. We understand that our business has an important role to play in protecting and enhancing the environment for future generations and to help secure the long-term sustainability of both our hotel and the hospitality and tourism industry.
The Clonakilty Park Hotel is a Repak member to facilitate our commitment to reduce, reuse and recycle. We are committed to the implementation of proactive measures to help protect and sustain the environment for future generations of our guests and employees and with this in mind, we have put the policies below in place:
- To achieve sound environmental practices across our entire operation we measure the following: Energy consumption kwh per m2 per annum / litre water per sleeper / kg of waste per sleeper.
- To comply fully with all relevant legislation outlined by the Government of Ireland
- To reduce and minimize, analyse and report monthly on our waste, electricity, gas, carbon, and water consumption reductions
- To Reduce, Re-use and Recycle the resources consumed by our business wherever practical, for example, all glass beverage bottles are returned or recycled, all food waste generated within the premises is disposed of as compostable waste
- Where possible purchase products that have a reduced environmental impact during their lifecycle, from suppliers that demonstrate environmental, social and ethical responsibility
- To invite our suppliers and contractors to participate in our efforts to protect the environment
- To educate and facilitate all employees with the training and resources required to meet our objectives as part of their induction and overall training plan
- To monitor and record our environmental impacts on a regular basis and compare our performance with our policies, objectives, and targets
- Make our customers and guests aware of our initiatives, and encourage them to help us achieve our environmental goals
For 2023/2024, our green pledges are:
- We plan to secure a 10% reduction in Water Consumption at the hotel
- We plan to secure a 10% increase in our Waste Diversion Rate at the hotel to nearly 1/3 of all waste
- We plan to reduce our electricity consumption by 5%
- We plan to reduce our gas consumption by 10%
- We plan to provide two electric vehicle charging points in the hotel car park.
We would like to enlist the help of YOU, our guests in achieving some of our environmental targets by requesting you to action the following during your stay.
- Turn off lights and electrical equipment when leaving your guest room including phone chargers, laptops, coffee machine
- Turn off taps when they are not in use and be mindful of your water consumption
- Limit the use of air-conditioning or heating where possible and turn it off when a window or door is open
- Shop locally during your stay with us and visit some of the wonderful local attractions that Clonakilty has to offer
- Consider walking or using public transport where possible during your visit.
Should you have any further suggestions as to how we can be more environmentally conscious please let us know!
Some of our past initiatives have been:
- Energy Conservation: On-site CHP unit
- Building Management System - Use of energy saving LED bulbs –
- Upgraded to high efficiency boilers and energy efficient pumps
- Encourage a switch off policy with both staff and guests
- Elimination of single use toiletries
We have recycling bags located in your bedroom bin for paper items, glass, single use plastic bottles and other recyclable materials and the bathroom bin for general waste to make separation easy for our accommodation team
We offer a battery recycling facility at our front desk should you wish to avail of this during your stay
Hang up any towels in your guest bathroom that you wish to re-use – please leave towels you wish to be replaced in the bath/shower and these will be replaced when your room is serviced
For you our guests to have a comfortable stay whilst being mindful of the environment your sheets will be changed on the third day of a long stay unless otherwise requested
Sustainable meetings at the Clonakilty Park Hotel
To make your meeting or event as sustainable as possible and in line with our Environmental Policy we are committed to the following:
- Quotations are emailed instead of printing.
- Our air-handling units are eco-friendly and only used when required to reduce electricity consumption.
- The lighting in our meeting rooms is produced by energy-efficient bulbs.
- Our main meeting room is flooded with natural light which assist’s us in reducing the need for artificial light.
- All paper and plastic products used during your meeting or event are recycled or reused including menus, conference papers and water bottles.
- We ensure lights are turned off in our meeting rooms when they are not in use.
- We use local food suppliers with all our food sourced within Ireland to support the local economy and reduce our carbon footprint
As part of our commitment to caring about our workers, guests, suppliers and the local community, we aim to:
- Become part of the Clonakilty community, contributing to the destination and becoming part of the ever-growing effort to improve the town
- Become accepted and valued by the local community
- Create meaningful and valuable employment and opportunities for locals
To action the above goals, we
- Are an active member of the Clonakilty Chamber
- Collaborate with local vendors and suppliers
- Invest in staff training, education and well being
- Actively support the local community through sponsorship, promotion of local events, sports teams and projects to improve the destination of Clonakilty and West Cork
- Are inclusive. Some examples include forming part of the Clonakilty Autism Friendly Town initiative, considering guests with additional needs when redesigning our rooms and when implementing additional signage thorough the hotel and hiring individuals through such partnerships as with the Cope Foundation and Co Action.
If you have any queries regarding our environmental and social sustainability policies, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team